NYC has been all abuzz about whether or not Joaquin was going to make an appearance here, but thankfully all we got was a Nor’easter, and I ended up with an idea for a manicure.
Looking through my plates, I found a floral image that looks a lot like a bunch of hurricane symbols.
The roses in the 2nd row, 3rd image from the right proved to be the starting grounds for my stormy manicure. Little did I know how tempestuous this design would end up being.
Here is the color palette I used:
I wanted the eye(s) of the storm to be in the center of the manicure, so I painted Silver Bells on my middle and ring fingers and I Don’t Give A Rotterdam! on the other fingers. I figured that when I did the stamping, the flowers (hurricane symbols) would be glittery, something that is seldom seen because people can’t really stamp successfully with glitter polish.
For the two outer nails, I wanted to do a gradient that darkened toward the two middle nails. For this, I used a mix of Caviar Cocktail, Sailor’s Lure, and I Don’t Give A Rotterdam! and tilted the sponge at an angle for the index and little fingers while I kept the sponge vertical on the thumb.
It should be mentioned that I didn’t realize that Sailor’s Lure is a textured polish. It isn’t marked as such on the bottle, so I was wondering why it looked so clumpy on the brush. It still suits our stormy purpose, so it was fine.
Here is where the storm truly begins. I thought I was going to stamp with Sailor’s Lure, but the thought of trying to scrape the polish off the plate with all the texture in it was making my skin crawl. I couldn’t stamp with Caviar Cocktail because the color is too similar to the silver glitter. I tried using royal blue by b.m.c. nail lacquer, but the design didn’t show through well. I tried layering noir black by b.m.c. nail lacquer over the blue color, but it looked like a mess. Neither one looked good nor fit my color scheme, so I had to wipe those two nails clean and try a new approach.
I decided to use a white polish as a base instead of the glitter and decided to stamp with a chrome polish because the royal blue color would seem out of place.
Luckily I used school glue as a base coat, so I scraped the glitter off the two middle nails and applied mayfair first.
I did the stamping with Awaken and was fooled again by the polish. This is what I get for not swatching colors before I start.
While the polish stamped better than expected, the color was not what I thought it was. Even when I originally bought the color, I thought that it had more of a dark blue tint to it, at least from the look of it in the bottle. Instead, it is more dark silver gray with a lavender hue, and now I got to be frustrated all over again that my stamped nails didn’t match the gradient around it.
Ultimately I scraped the gradient off and painted Awaken on those nails instead. You can see a difference in the color of the stamping compared to the color of the polish in the bottle more clearly below.
So that’s how I weathered this storm. It took a few unexpected turns, but all ended well. Hope you all have been staying warm and dry! It’s a great excuse to stay indoors and do your nails. 😉 Happy polishing!